A former priest was convicted Saturday of sexually abusing three altar boys in a case that already had produced the nation's largest civil judgment for clergy sex-abuse allegations.
Jurors deliberated 71/2 hours over two days before finding Rudolph Kos, 52, guilty of three counts of aggravated sexual assault and one of indecency with a child.Kos was acquitted of one indecency count. At the beginning of the trial earlier in the week, he pleaded guilty to one count of sexual assault of a child and two counts of indecency with a child.
According to testimony during an 11-week civil trial last summer, Kos sexually abused boys from 1981 to 1992 at churches in Dallas, Ennis and Irving. That trial led to a record $119.6 million judgment against Kos and the Catholic Diocese of Dallas.
The charges involved four former altar boys who said they were molested a total of about 1,350 times.
Kos attorney, Brad Lollar, said he and his client were not surprised by the verdict and were prepared for the sentencing phase, set to begin Monday.