A basement fire caused about $30,000 in damage Tuesday afternoon to a house being renovated by the Salt Lake County Housing Authority.

Work for the almost-finished, single-family house, 2567 E. 3210 South, had been partially donated by volunteers and partially funded by the Housing Authority, said Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Bill Brass.About 2:45 p.m., three workers were recarpeting the basement when adhesive fumes apparently reached a pilot light and sparked a fire, Brass said. While trying to put out the fire, one of the workers suffered smoke inhalation before all three escaped and called for help.

"The fire got a pretty good start," Brass said. "By the time firefighters arrived, it had burned from the basement to the main floor to the attic."

Although the basement, a main-floor bedroom and the roof will have to be refinished or replaced, the house was insured, and most of the costs should be covered, Brass said. Volunteers are planning to start rebuilding the project immediately.

"They had hundreds of hours of volunteer labor and some contract labor," Brass said. "They were in the final process of the house, wrapping things up.

"If you could have seen the shape that this house was in, it was a complete makeover."

A family was scheduled to move into the house Saturday but will have to wait a few more months until the work is redone.