Twenty-six Utah inventors received patents from the United States Patent Office. Copies of patents are available by number for $3 from Box 9, Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, D.C. 20231. Abstracts and classifications are available at the Marriott Library, University of Utah.
- Ralph W. Taylor, Naples, Fla.; Nathan H. Mazer, Ogden. Apparatus for outdoor recreation and survival that provides five functions: portability, light, heat, friction ignition and liquid heating. Filed June 12, 1995. Patent 5,713,343.- R. Gail Billings, Salt Lake City; Roger E. Smith, Bountiful. A system for intrauterine detection of one or more biological substances. Assigned to Utah Medical Products Inc., Midvale. Filed Nov. 20, 1995. Patent 5,713,351.
- Barrie D. Brewer, Salt Lake City. A gauge shroud for protecting a gauge. Assigned to Nova
Tech, North Salt Lake. Filed Aug. 30, 1996. Patent 5,713,388.
- Mark B. Thompson, Providence; Serge A. Bedard, Valcourt, Calif. A snowmobile track comprises an endless belt of reinforced rubber composition. Assigned to Bombardier Inc., Montreal, Calif. Filed Feb. 22, 1995. Patent 5,713,645.
- Andrew Curtis King and John Brian Wing, both of Price. Furniture units such as beds, sofas, wall units and bookcase/desk combinations with a secure container or safe. Filed June 2, 1994. Patent 5,713,650.
- David K. Yarbrough, Sandy. A method for whitening teeth that utilizes laser light to activate bleaching agents applied to the teeth. Assigned to BriteSmile Inc., Salt Lake City. Filed Sept. 5, 1996, a continuation-in-part of patent 5,645,428. Patent 5,713,738.
- John W. Goodin, Coto de Caza, Calif; Mark W. LeBeau, Logan; James D. Marshall, Brockville, Calif; James Schmidt, Whitby, Calif. Cordlock retention system for a power tool such as an automotive polisher. Assigned to Black & Decker Inc., Newark, Del. Filed Aug. 1, 1996, a continuation of application April 15, 1996. Patent 5,713,758.
- Rex A. Teitgen, Sandy; Gordon R. Allred, Salt Lake City. A basketball backboard pad for protecting basketball players from the sharp edges and corners of a backboard. Assigned to Sport Court Inc., Salt Lake City. Filed Jan. 10, 1997. Patent 5,713,806.
- E. Marlowe Goble; David P. Luman; Alan Chervitz, all of Logan; Brad Story, Smithfield and Tim Simon, Los Alamitos, Calif. An anterior cruciate ligament or soft tissue tensioning and knee displacement measuring device. Filed March 6, 1997. Patent 5,713,897.
- E. Marlowe Goble; David P. Luman, both of Logan; Harold M. Martins, Newton, Mass. A modular surgical drill in the form of a rigid drill shaft and a drill bit which are connected by a tongue-and-groove arrangement. Assigned to Mitek Surgical Products Inc., Westwood, Mass. Filed Aug. 27, 1996. Patent 5,713,905.
- Tetsuro Kuga, Yamaguchi; Hiromasa Miyaji and Moriyuki Sato, both of Tokyo; Masami Okabe and Makoto Morimoto, both of Shizuoka; Seiga Itoh, Yoshiharu Yokoo, Kazuo Yamaguchi and Hajime Yoshida, all of Kanagawa; Motoo Yamasaki, Tokyo, and Yoshinori Komatsu, Salt Lake City. Polypeptide derivatives of human granulocyte colony stimulating factor. Assigned to Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co. Ltd., Japan. Filed May 3, 1995, a division of application July 13, 1994, which is a division of patent 5,362,853, which is a division of patent 5,214,132, which is a continuation-in-part of patent 5,194,592, which is a continuation-in-part of application Dec. 22, 1987. Patent 5,714,581.
- Jeffrey A. Rose, Park City; Joseph A. Cates, Lexington, Ky. Capacitive charge coupling with dual connector assemblies and charging system. Assigned to Electro Dynamics Inc., Park City. Filed Jan. 10, 1997. Patent 5,714,864.
- Donald T. Comer, Mapleton. An electrical circuit for generating a polynomial function in response to a linear input signal. Assigned to Oak Crystal Inc., Mount Holly Springs, Penn. Filed Nov. 30, 1995. Patent 5,714,902.
- Geno Saccomanno, Grand Junction, Colo.; Ronald S. Merrell, Provo; Kris Nosack, Orem. A microscope attached slide dotting device. Assigned to Geno Saccomanno, Grand Junction, Colo. Filed Oct. 19, 1995. Patent 5,715,082.
- David Milligan, Don Milligan and Danean Milligan, all of Mid-vale. Quick release clip. Filed Nov. 8, 1996. Design patent 390,160.
- Troy Manwill, Springville. Universal fuel tank. Filed July 9, 1996. Design patent 390,183.
- Norman J. Van Skyhawk, Sandy; Dennis W. Talbot, Salt Lake City. Dual-bay multiuse watercraft. Assigned to Windjet Manufacturing L.L.C., Salt Lake City. Filed April 29, 1997. Design patent 390,184.