Fumes from a dangerous chemical dumped in a trash can sent a city garbage collector to the hospital Monday.

Jesse Kinsey became nauseated and disoriented after inhaling what was later determined to be ammonia while cleaning out the hopper in his garbage truck at the Springville refuse transfer station.Paramedics and firefighters from Provo and Springville treated Kinsey at the scene and transported him to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center about 10 a.m. He was released from the hospital later in the day.

The Provo Hazardous Materials Team discovered three broken one-gallon bottles of ammonia in the garbage truck.