The Intermountain Society of Artists will have their monthly meeting Wednesday, March 11, 7:30 p.m. at the Utah Gallery (6280 S. Redwood). Aaron Yorganson will be the featured artist and will demonstrate landscape painting in oil. Afton Sorensen will present a mini art show. The public is invited.
- Stephen R. Laney will exhibit a selection of his diverse work at the Scera Art Center through March. Suffering from a chronic virus in his left eye, Laney turned to teaching art 30 years ago. Over the years he's created works in sculpture, ceramics, oil painting, watercolors, acrylics and pastel. In 1992, Utah State University honored Laney as Artist of the Year and Art Educator of the Year.
- Museum of Art at Brigham Young University will display a collection of British bird lithographs gathered from the British Empire during the 19th century. "Allegories of Empires" features birds done by naturalists on British explorater ships. The lithographs will be displayed in a dome-shaped area designed like a Victorian drawing room. "This is really one of the finest and most creative of the installations we've done here," said Cheryl May, MOA promotion director. The exhibit will be on display through Sept. 5.
- F. Anthony Smith has finished a new painting for the New Yorker restaurant in downtown Salt Lake City. In recognition of the 20th anniversary of the restaurant, Smith has created a visionary landscape with culinary tidbits and oddities from the New Yorker's history.
- Milton Neely will exhibit a 25-acre collection of light displays to kick off the spring equinox at the Red Butte Gardens. "Spring Into Lights" will be open to the public on March 20 and run through April 4. To view the numerous three-dimensional displays, visitors must enter the garden between 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. There will be a cost of $5 for adults and $3 for children. Proceeds will benefit the Red Butte Garden and Arboretum, a nonprofit organization.
WORKSHOPS AND LECTURES
- Adriane Herman, visiting artist and instructor of printmaking at the Kansas City Art Institute, will present a slide lecture on Wednesday, March 11, 7 p.m. in the Fine Arts Visual room 113 on the Utah State University campus. The lecture is free to the public. For more information on the lecture, contact Lauren Schiller at 435-797-1394.