Jared Layne Gray, who surrendered and directed the FBI to nearly $2.5 million stolen almost a month ago from an armored car, appeared in federal court Tuesday wearing a tattered Salt Lake County Jail T-shirt.

His rumpled appearance prompted a family member to call out to him in jest, "You'd think you could afford a better shirt than that."Gray, 26, bantered with his family before the court proceedings in front of U.S. Magistrate Ronald Boyce commenced.

The Wells Fargo employee surrendered Monday, handing over more than $48,000 in cash. He told FBI agents where to find nearly $2.5 million in cash. Officials recovered the Monday money in Las Vegas - in an apartment and in a storage shelter, Gray's attorney, Stephen Cook, said Tuesday.

However, Cook declined to say how long Gray may have been living in Las Vegas or in other surrounding states.

Boyce read aloud the three federal felony charges against Gray: theft by an agent of the Federal Reserve Bank, theft of bank funds and theft from an interstate shipment.

The three offenses carry a maximum total penalty of 25 years in prison and $750,000 in fines.

Richard Lambert, assistant U.S. attorney for Utah, asked that Gray be held in detention by the U.S. marshal and undergo a background check.

Boyce granted the request, setting a Friday 11 a.m. hearing to determine if Gray will be let out on bail prior to his trial. A preliminary hearing date was not set.

Following the federal court hearing, Cook explained why his client surrendered himself in connection with the May 5 Wells Fargo heist.

"He wants to eliminate the controversy surrounding this. He doesn't want to hurt his family. They are a very close, supportive family.

"He wants to bring this to a rapid conclusion."

Gray's surrender was completely voluntary. The FBI "would not have found him," the attorney said.

Reluctant to discuss his client's motive or background in too much detail, Cook simply said, "He has no criminal record. He lives with and supports his mother."

All but $40,000 of the missing money has been accounted for, Cook said. However, the $40,000 discrepancy may be the result of a difference in what Wells Fargo officials believe was stolen and how much was actually taken, he said.

No one else was involved in the heist but Gray, Cook said.

Gray, one of three Wells Fargo guards transporting the money from Boise, Idaho, to the Federal Reserve Bank in Salt Lake City, had been sought since he disappeared the night the $2.52 million in $100 bills was taken from the truck.

The complaint filed against Gray says the armored car had pulled intoa convenience store near the Corinne exit of I-15.

Gray is accused of locking two guards inside the car by wedging the doors of the car shut with a board. The guards were asleep in the car's bunk.

Gray apparently escaped with the cash and left the area in his pickup truck, which was found several miles away.

The complaint states that Gray's brother, Farrell Gray of Murray, received a phone call from the suspect about 90 minutes after the robbery.

Farrell Gray told the FBI his brother told him he had been involved in the robbery of a Wells Fargo truck and was sorry for any embarrassment to his family.