Utah businesses and business groups have announced numerous appointments and promotions. They include:
- Dave Malone, a principal in Huddleston Malone Design, has been elected president of the Salt Lake Chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts. Serving as board members are Steven J. Jerman, Eric Gillett, Courtnie Jensen, Tony Loveless, Dave Baker, Linda Sullivan and Martin Marmar.- Dr. Orson D. Wright, a dentist who opened a practice in 1955, has been elected chairman of the board of the East Valley Chamber of Commerce, which includes the areas of Sugar House, Foothill, Olympus, Brickyard, Millcreek, Holladay, Fort Union and Cottonwood.
- Keith Griffall, president of Western Leisure Inc., has been elected president of the National Tour Association, an organization of nearly 4,000 North American tourism professionals promoting tour operator-packaged travel.
He has been chairman of the NTA's Tour Supplier Council and the International, Government Relations and Membership Services committees. Griffall also has been secretary-treasurer and president-elect of the NTA board of directors.
- Scott Nelson, president and chief executive officer of First Security of Utah and chairman and director of First Security Bank, has been re-elected to a second two-year term on the board of directors of the Federal Home Loan Bank of Seattle.
- Several changes in the executive management at Smith's Food & Drug Centers Inc., have been announced.
- Abel Porter has been promoted to president with responsibility for operations and merchandising at all Smith's, Smitty's and PriceRite stores. Most recently has was senior vice president and Intermountain regional manager.
- Ken Martindale has been promoted to executive vice president of purchasing and procurement for Fred Meyer Inc., which merged with Smith's last year. He formerly was vice president of sales and procurement for Smith's.
- Mary F. Sammons has been been promoted to the new position of president of Fred Meyer Stores with responsibility for the operations and merchandising of the company's stores. She formerly was formerly executive vice president of the apparel, home and home electronics group for Fred Meyer.
- Larry Jackstein has been appointed managing director of sales and marketing at Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort and Laura Cappel has been hired as a group sales representative, according to Bob Bonar, president and chief operating officer.
- Andrew T. Chiu has been appointed pharmacology director at Pharmadigm Inc., 2401 Foothill Drive, a company developing therapeutics for synthetic versions of certain naturally occurring steroid hormones for use in the management of acute inflammation.
- Mark Stamler has been appointed restaurant division manager for Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort, according to Bob Bonar, president and chief operating officer. Stamler has 16 years of restaurant management experience and three years as a college instructor and wine educator.
- Portland State University graduate Brad Weber has been appointed northern region vice president for Washington Mutual and will be responsible for the company's financial centers in Bountiful, Brigham City, Layton, Logan, Ogden, Park City, Roy and three in the Salt Lake area.
- Private investment manager and veteran banker Robert K. deVeer Jr. has been elected to the board of directors of TheraTech Inc., a company developing and manufacturing a variety of controlled release drug delivery systems.
- Lee Van Dam, president of Alliance Home Warranty, and Richard Adams, president of National Home Advantage, two Salt Lake companies, have been elected treasurer and secretary, respectively, of the National Home Warranty Association.
- Officials at Magellan Technology Inc. have appointed Robert S. Lawrence as vice president of engineering at their wholly owned subsidiary, SkyHook Technologies Inc., a company that developed the patented SkyHook cargo management system. He will be responsible for all engineering research and development for the company's entire product line.
- Zuka Juice has announced the appointments of Dave Jones as vice president of accounting, Justin Jensen as director of construction and Mike Stevens as director of real estate.
Jones, who was vice president of accounting services for Boston Chicken Inc., will oversee the implementation of a new accounting and human resources software system at Zuka Juice.
Jensen had served as senior construction manager for Boston Chicken Inc., and Stevens was director of leasing for Pro Image, a Salt Lake-based sports apparel company.
- L. Denise Farnsworth, who formerly worked in the legal department at Apple Computer, Cupertino, Calif., has joined M.L. Adams & Associates, a Salt Lake-based business training and consulting firm. She has been instrumental in expanding the company's service base and developing new markets.