A garage fire burned out of control for about an hour Monday afternoon, destroying the building and everything in it.

The homeowner at 8100 S. Wasatch Drive was working on a Bobcat in the detached garage when the machine backfired and started a fire, said Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Bill Brass.The homeowner had time to move two vehicles out of the garage before the fire became too hot. When firefighters arrived, they had trouble finding a hydrant because of the fresh snowfall, Brass said.

The closest, accessible hydrant was 1,200 feet from the garage.

"We would ask residents to please, please uncover the hydrants after it snows," Brass said. There was actually a hydrant closer but it was covered with snow.

The garage fire was fueled by a 25-pound propane tank and acetylene torch tanks. Brass said fire investigators estimated the damage at $30,000, but the homeowner said his property was worth about $100,000.

A boat, two all-terrain vehicles and computer equipment were destroyed in the fire. No one was injured in the fire.