Jared Layne Gray, the man charged in a May 5 $2.5 million armored truck heist, surrendered because he felt remorse and wanted to put the ordeal behind him, Gray's attorney said Tuesday.

Anxious to resolve the matter, Gray returned all but $40,000 of the stolen money to the federal government and Wells Fargo officials and has cooperated fully with law authorities, said defense attorney Stephen W. Cook."Family members and friends encouraged him to give himself up. Gray surrendered on his own. There was no indication that law officials were closing in on him.

"He expects to return the $40,000 in full," Cook said.

The attorney said Gray, who was to appear Tuesday afternoon before U.S. Magistrate Ronald N. Boyce, hopes to proceed to pre-trial hearings quickly. Although Gray's surrender certainly implies an admission of guilt, Cook said a plea bargain has not been arranged.

Gray, 26, is charged with three federal felony counts: theft by an agent of the Federal Reserve Bank, theft of bank funds and theft from an interstate shipment.

Cook confirmed that Gray, a Wells Fargo guard, has been living in states outside Utah recently, but declined to identify which states.

Gray has no prior criminal record.

Gray's brother, Ferrell Gray, told the Deseret News that he doesn't really understand the whole ordeal.

"I don't know why he did it the first time. It was totally unlike him. We're shocked," said Farrell Gray, also of Murray.

However, Farrell Gray said he was relieved his brother is safe. "I'm glad it's settled. We've been worried about him."

The FBI would not elaborate on his surrender, but said Jared Gray, accompanied by his attorney, gave up at the bureau's downtown Salt Lake office at 12:52 a.m., Lund said.

"He had a large sum of money in cash on his person at that time, I can't tell you exactly how much, but it was a large amount of pocket change," FBI agent Bob Lund said.

Jared Gray also told agents the out-of-state hiding place of the rest of money, located by FBI Agent Robert Bryant and Wells Fargo officials Monday, Lund said. Lund would not identify the exact location of the money or the figure, but said more than $2 million was recovered.

Boyce earlier issued an arrest warrant for Jared Gray following the heist of an armored truck en route from Boise to Salt Lake City at a gas station off I-15 near Corinne, Box Elder County.

Someone secured the truck's doors from the outside with wood blocks while the truck was parked and then escaped with $2.52 million. When two other sleeping guards awoke inside the truck and discovered their predicament, Jared Gray was gone.

Lund would not say where Gray had been since the heist, saying other evidence had yet to be seized.

"He's been in surrounding states, that's all I can tell you," he said.

Lund would not confirm or deny the bureau had been in contact with Jared Gray since the heist but said they were working toward a surrender.

"Through our investigative work we've been trying to have him come in, if he would, and we have been looking for him."

Lund did not rule out other arrests in the heist, saying "we'll just have to see what happens after we interview him."

Remorse was an element in Gray's surrender, Lund said. Jared Gray called his brother on May 5 minutes after the heist to say he was unharmed and was "sorry to embarrass the family."

Jared Gray appeared at the FBI's office carrying the money in a satchel, Lund said.

"It was early in the morning, but I'm sure that he was very relieved that he came in," Lund said.

FBI agents had been stymied in their search for Jared Gray and were startled that he gave himself up.

"I think we're somewhat surprised . . .. On something like this you generally expect to go out and make an arrest rather than have someone appear at your office," Lund said.

Asked if Jared Gray's giving up would be to his advantage in court, Lund said "he did a criminal act," but perhaps the courts would look upon his surrender favorably.