In an effort to reduce the number of injury accident forms Utah employers must fill out and send to the state or keep on file, the Utah Division of Occupational Health and Safety is writing a new form.

Doug McVey, UOSH administrator, said the public has until June 15 to comment on Form 122, First Report of Injury.Under the Workmen's Compensation Act, employers are required to fill out a form and send it to the state on any type of work-related injury, even if it's a small cut or bruise. OSHA requires another form be submitted only on injuries requiring medical treatment (other than first aid), and medical treatment is defined as that which requires a second visit to a physician or hospital.

Employers have been required to keep records for both agencies since 1973, and now McVey's division is trying to combine the forms into one. Most of the requests to reduce the recordkeeping have come from large companies since they have more employees who get injured and require reports.

McVey said there have been about 20 varieties of injury report forms approved over the years by the State Industrial Commission, and insurance carriers have devised their own form. Now that the commission has run out of its forms, McVey said it's a good time to standardize and simplify the injury reporting form.

With his division going by the OSHA definition of what constitutes an accident, McVey said the number of accident or injury cases for which a form must be submitted will be reduced by 20 percent.

The information contained on the new form will be used by McVey and his staff for statistical purposes so he can concentrate accident prevention efforts where there is an abundance of accidents in a particular industry.

On the reverse side of the new form is a requirement that employers inform employees about several things on workmen's compensation including the name, address and telephone number of the worker's compensation carrier. If self-insured, the employer must give the employee the name, address and telephone number of the employer's representative who administers the workmen's compensation program.

Employees also must be informed they have the right to request assistance from the commission if the insurance carrier or employer doesn't pay for medical treatment or compensation benefits or request a hearing is necessary.

They also must be told about death benefits and vocational rehabilitation benefits.