Fire destroyed a mobile home at 3839 W. Saddler Drive Friday morning after a 10-year-old boy left a lighted candle on his dresser and went to school.

The boy's parents and their two other children were away from the house when the fire started.Several neighbors reported the fire to 911 after noticing smoke and flames coming from the home at 8:40 a.m., said Fire Marshal Ron Larsen. The fire was burning so hot and fast by the time firefighters arrived five minutes later that it took between 30 and 40 minutes to bring the blaze under control, Larsen said.

The boy who lit the candle will be referred to a counseling program for juvenile fire starters, Larsen said.

Damage to the home is estimated at $35,000.