One of the names on the plaque on the monument at the Sugar House Plaza is that of Philip DeLaMare.
It is not a name readily recognizable to the majority of Utahns, but DeLaMare is perhaps one of the most instrumental men in bringing the beet sugar industry to the state.DeLaMare was born on the island of Jersey, England in 1823. He became a convert to the LDS Church 1849, and became a successful missionary.
The church, on April 16, 1851, circulated "an addenda to the Fifth General Epistle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints scattered through the earth. . . ."
The letter stated:
"It is our wish that the presidency in England, France and other places should search out such practical operators in the manufacturing of sugar as fully understand their business, and forward them to this place, with all such apparatus as may be needed and cannot be procured here."
DeLaMare, a missionary in France, accompanied Apostle John Taylor to Arras, a town in northern France, where extensive beet sugar plants were operating.
After making a careful study of the industry, they concluded that their enterprise would be suitable to take to Utah.
Before immigrating to America, DeLaMare, together with John Taylor and others, purchased beet sugar manufacturing machinery, which they imported to America, at great cost.
Once reaching the shores of America, after crossing the Atlantic Ocean on the ship, "Kennebec," a long and difficult journey lay ahead of DeLaMare and those accompanying him.
The machinery, the first beet sugar equipment ever imported into the country, was excessively heavy for the 52 teams of oxen that had the burden of hauling it to Salt Lake City from Council Bluffs, Iowa.
DeLaMare had to replace 50 of the wagons, which broke down under the heavy weight of the equipment.
Seeds had been sent ahead of the machinery, so operations could begin as soon as the factory, built of the largest adobes used in Utah, was completed.
On March 5, 1853, Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, John Taylor, Mr. Mollenhauer, Daniel H. Wells and Amasa M. Lyman rode out to Canyon Creek, now called Parley's Creek, bridge to seek a location for the sugar factory. The site selected was on the southeast corner of 21st South and Highland Drive.
The factory was put into operation Feb. 1, 1855, but the efforts to produce granule sugar proved to be unsuccessful. Good molasses was made from 300 acres of the sugar beets, but there was no sugar.
Brigham Young, by the latter part of the summer of 1855, concluded the enterprise to be a failure and ordered the factory shut down.
The mill, however, continued to be put into use, housing a paper mill, and a place for the processing of sunflower seeds, weeds, straw and old rags.