Two men working on a blast furnace at Geneva Steel were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday.

Doug White, 35, Chesterton, Ind., and Michael Atwood, 27, Lindon, Utah County, employees of the BMI company - were taken to Orem Community Hospital shortly after 8 a.m. when they were exposed to the blast furnace gases.Atwood was treated and released while White was transferred to LDS Hospital. He underwent treatment in the Salt Lake hospital's hyperbaric chamber to force the gases out of his blood stream and was later released.

The two men were not Geneva Steel employees and had been subcontracted to do some grouting work on the number two blast furnace, said Michael Call, manager of media relations for Geneva.

The ambient gas in a blast furnace is normally sucked out through a pressure system during drilling.