Fire investigators have determined a fire that destroyed a north side Salt Lake residence was caused by smoldering coals in a garbage can that reached a gas meter.

The home, 720 N. Third West, was almost a total loss in the April 25 fire with damage estimated at $25,000."They had a fire in the fireplace the night before," said Battalion Chief Gordon Nicholl. "They put the coals from the fire in the garbage can. It went up inside the false siding on the house, and that burned down and got to the gas meter, expanded some gas in the gas meter and shot a jet of natural gas into the window well, kind of like a blowtorch."

The wind whipped the flames into the remodeled attic area. Four firefighters suffered sprains, smoke inhalation and burns. All were treated and released from Holy Cross Hospital.