A tearful plea from the mother of a 13-year-girl whose rape and murder was described by her assailant as "like killing a rabbit" was answered by the Utah Board of Pardons.

The board Friday denied parole for Raymond Joseph Malin, 26, who was given a life sentence in 1986 for raping, strangling and slashing the throat of Jana Dawn Hoecherl.Their decision was reached after Jana's mother, Dawnetta, and brother, Brian, told of their grief. It was Brian who found his sister's body, which had been left near an abandoned building at 4015 W. 4780 South.

Dawnetta Hoecherl spoke first, fighting tears as she detailed the range of emotions, from anxiety to anger, that have plagued her since her daughter's death three years ago.

"It was painful to have to choose a casket for our beloved daughter," she recalled from her seat only a few feet away from Malin. Extra security guards were posted in the room during the hearing.

"Because of her wounds, we had to get high-neck clothing," she said. "The sight of her injuries, the bruises all over her face, the large bump on her forehead, her swollen mouth and the numerous scratches remain etched in my mind."

She told the board that Malin "over-killed" her daughter. "Any one of the four acts of violence could have killed her . . . this man made the statement that killing Jana was like killing a rabbit."

She then asked the board for the assurance that Malin never will be paroled. "I would hate to see another victim fall prey to him and do not want another to have a victim . . . family and friends have to suffer at his hands."

Brian Hoecherl, 32, recalled how Jana, the youngest of six children, brought him a decorative statue and flowers to brighten his new apartment when she was only 7 years old. "She was a kind and generous girl," he said.

Malin had little to say for himself during the hearing before the board. He said a prison beating last year, which left him in critical condition for several weeks, had erased his memory of the event.

"There's nothing I can say," Malin told the board. "I can't even feel remorse because I can't even remember."

When he was told by the board that their decision was that he spend the rest of his life in prison, he said, "Thank you," then threw up his arms as if to ask if there was anything more.

Another prisoner whose case was heard by the board Friday responded with much more anger and frustration when he was given an Oct. 26, 1993 parole date.

Joseph Schultz, 44, was convicted of shooting his ex-wife in 1983 and firing at her male companion in what he described as a jealous rage. He made the board repeat its decision, then crumpled up a copy of the disposition paper and threw it to the floor as he was lead away.

Schultz was sentenced to up to 15 years on two counts of attempted homicide and aggravated assault in connection with the incident that occurred near the mouth of Ogden Canyon in March 1983.

According to information from the board, Schultz saw his ex-wife and a companion driving ahead and rammed their car repeatedly. As the companion crawled out of the damaged car for help, Schultz shot at him.

Then he approached the car and shot his ex-wife, hitting one of the hands she had raised to her face to protect herself. She suffered damage to her hand and lost her right eye after bullet fragments entered her skull.

A condition of Schultz' parole is that he not contact his ex-wife, who now lives in Hooper with her new husband and children, including two sons she had while married to Schultz.