Kentucky's athletics director Wednesday denied the school's head basketball coaching job had been offered to Seton Hall Coach P.J. Carlesimo as the two emerged from a private meeting with a key sports broadcasting official.

"We had really good dialogue," said Athletic Director C.M. Newton. "There's been no job offer, no job accepted or contracted for."Two sources told The Associated Press that Carlesimo, who guided an unheralded team to the runner-up spot in the NCAA Tournament this year, would accept the position and that an announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

Newton said he and Carlesimo met with Jim Host, president of Host Communications Co., which holds broadcast rights to Kentucky sporting events, in order to give Carlesimo a feeling for the job's public visibility.

He said the three did not discuss money during the session that lasted about 75 minutes.

"I can't say anything right now," Carlesimo said as he went into the meeting, which followed a breakfast today with UK President David Roselle.

The sources told the AP that Carlesimo wanted to talk with Seton Hall officials, specifically those who supported him during attempts to oust him two seasons ago, before making an official announcement.

"Kentucky has a new coach," one source said Tuesday night.

But Roselle said today, "No offer has been made to Carlesimo, at least yet."

Roselle said Carlesimo's hiring would have to be approved by the school's athletics board, of which he is chairman. He said no such board meeting has been scheduled.

"He's an attractive, bright young man and has to be considered a serious candidate for the job," Roselle said.

Carlesimo had remained in Lexington after his interview Tuesday with the school's screening committee and Newton.

Carlesimo just finished the first year of a five-year contract reportedly worth a total of $1.2 million.