Ranale Mane was angry and drunk when he walked into the crowded Silver Spur Tavern in Provo and opened fire, killing a bar bouncer and wounding two others.

He was so drunk that he remembers nothing of Dec. 20, 1987, except what others have told him, he told the Utah Board of Pardons last week.But board members said he was "sober enough to function" - aware enough to shoot Michael Ray Brown, 31, four times and kill him.

"He broke the laws of the land and the laws of God," the dead man's sister, Debra Lutz, told the board. "I think he should serve his time."

Mane - serving five years to life for second-degree murder, one to 15 years for attempted murder, and two zero- to five-year terms for aggravated assault - was denied parole. He will not get another chance at release until December 2002, after serving 15 years in prison.

"I don't hate you," Lutz said, addressing Mane. "But my brother is dead.

"I've watched him," she said, turning to the board. "I wanted to know he was sorry for what he's done, but he's not shown that. He doesn't understand what he's done. He was shown a picture of my brother during trial and he showed no remorse."

Mane said later, tears running down his face: "No one knows what's in my heart. Only God can forgive me."

Mane, 28, a Samoan native, and two others who assisted him are serving prison sentences for involvement in the shootings.

Mane and Savelio Fuga, 28, had been in the bar earlier and were thrown out by a bouncer. Mane apparently became enraged because he interpreted the act as racial, said board member Gary Webster.

About two hours passed while the two men obtained a handgun and enlisted the help of a third man, Lene Malae Tuailili, 22.

Returning to the bar, Tuailili went inside and scouted out the situation for Mane. Fuga, who had supplied the weapon, waited outside in a getaway vehicle.

Mane was apparently gunning for bouncer Tom Tromley, but Mane instead shot Brown, who had nothing to do with the earlier incident, Webster said.

Board member Paul Boyden called the shootings "really wanton." He noted Mane had "plenty of time to cool off" between the time he was thrown out of the bar and returned.

"I'm not even ready to think about a release date for you," Boyden said.

"You don't think you have any responsibility because you were too drunk to remember. But you were sober enough to function," he said.

Fuga, serving one to 15 years for attempted murder and two zero- to five-year terms for aggravated assault, also was denied a parole recently. He will not appear before the board again until March 1992.

Tuailili, serving one to 15 years for manslaughter, will not have another chance at parole until December 1994.