A fire early Sunday at an apartment building in the Central City area caused an estimated $75,000 damage and apparently was caused by a cigarette left smoldering in a couch, authorities said.

Rick Jackman, 21, suffered lacerations, burns and a possible neck injury when he jumped through a window of the apartment into an alley below to escape the flames, Nicholl said.Jackman was in fair and stable condition on Monday at University Hospital.

Firefighters evacuated the building at 333 S. Second East and confined the blaze to Jackman's unit, which was gutted, Nicholl said. The Salt Lake chapter of the Red Cross provided overnight lodging for 12 of the 17 neighbors displaced from their homes, while others were helped by family or friends.