Joe Jackson, formerly on KRGQ (alias "KRGO," AM-1550, FM-103.1 and 107.9), has become the news director for KODJ (FM-94.1). Jackson does the news for "Dickie Shannon and the Morning Maniacs" morning show. He replaces Robin Mueller, who left the station.
KODJ has also hired Angel Deville as Shannon's co-host. Deville comes to Utah from Louisiana. She has 20 years of radio experience and is excited to be a part of the morning show on FM-94.1.Jackson has been replaced on KRGQ's morning show by Chuck Clif-ford.
With these latest changes to Shannon's morning show, it is sounding smoother than ever. Shannon started doing mornings on KODJ last spring, and he seems to have found the perfect balance between talk and music for the oldies radio station.
- KTKK (alias "K-Talk," AM-630) - The "Religion on the Line" program for Sunday, Aug. 20, 8-10 p.m., will discuss the proxy baptism of deceased Catholics by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- LDS RADIO NETWORK will rebroadcast the LDS General Conference sessions from the years 1962, 1976 and 1992 during the week of Aug. 20.
- OFFICIAL CALL LETTERS for "K-Bull," (FM-93.3) are actually KUBL, not KBUL.
- 10 YEARS AGO - KBYU brings back "Pipedreams" on Thursday evenings.
- RADIO HAPPENINGS - "Mick and Allen" on KBER have regular themes each morning on their show. Monday is "Mad About Monday" and "Just Ask Angee" day. Tuesday is "20 Minute" Day. Wednesday is "Win-A-Date" day for men and women. Thursday is "Fact or Fiction" time and a chance to stump the DJs. Friday is "Free Favor" day with flowers sent to ill friends. Friday is also when "Freak of the Week" is chosen. The DJs supported Utah's firefighters all week long with a "Fill the Boot" fund-raising event. They highlighted this weekend's "Taste of Salt Lake" event for the Special Olympics, too. They even tried to contact Elvis this week with the help of Madame Fury . . .
"Jon and Dan" on KBUL had a guest from the Special Olympics on their show to talk about this weekend's "Taste of Salt Lake" event. On Wednesday, the DJs did a silly "interview" with Deedee Corradini by using segments from songs . . . Sister station KBEE also promoted the Special Olympics this week, and the station will have a broadcasting booth set up at the event. The station has a special night planned on Monday, Aug. 21, at Seven Peaks Resort in Provo . . .
"Fisher, Todd and Erin" on KISN-FM have a $1,000 Thursday each week. On Thursday of this week, the DJs took the day off. Some listeners incorrectly feared they had been replaced, but "Randy and Barb" were just filling in for "Fisher, Todd and Erin" . . .
Todd Herman on KCNR discussed illegal aliens in Los Angeles Tuesday. He talked about tele-mar-keting Wednesday . . . On Tuesday, Tom Barberi on KALL talked about female cadet Shannon Faulkner and about head injuries in soccer. On Wednesday, Barberi said the O.J. Simpson trial may go on forever . . . "Kidd Cassidy" on KKAT gave away rodeo tickets this week. One of his quizzes involved naming the 11 body parts that have only three letters. On Tuesday, the DJ also had a top 10 list on getting even with your boss . . .
The "Totally Useless Trivia" on KSFI with "Dain and Peggy" Tuesday explained the body's strongest muscle is the tongue . . . "Louise" was a special guest again Tuesday on the "Kerry and Bill" show on KXRK. She talked about how to cook oatmeal and about gum stuck under table tops. On Wednesday the DJs discussed oatmeal and did some Elvis tributes . . .
Merrill Cook, afternoon host on KALL, talked to Salt Lake County Commissioner Randy Horiuchi on Tuesday and to Rep. Enid Wald-holtz, R-Utah, on Wednesday . . . "Mark and Danny" on KDYL gave away tickets to the Peter, Paul & Mary concert earlier this week . . .
Dickie Shannon on KODJ also awarded Peter, Paul & Mary concert tickets to listeners . . . On Wednesday, "Cano and McCormick" on KUTQ promoted the upcoming Sept. 4 Duck Derby at Lagoon by the Special Olympics. The DJs also did tributes to Elvis and gave away dozens of doughnuts . . .
Teresa Almond of Sandy was the winner in KBZN's getaway to the Maui Music Festival. The station is also a sponsor of this weekend's "Taste of Salt Lake" and for the Northern Wasatch Home Builders Association Parade of Homes, Aug. 25-Sept. 4 in Kaysville.