The army and police blocked hundreds of Arabs from attending Friday prayer services in Jerusalem, and armed Jewish settlers marched in the occupied West Bank to demonstrate Israeli control over the land.

Nineteen Palestinians, including a 3-year-old boy, were reported wounded in stone-throwing clashes with soldiers in the occupied territories.Arab doctors at Al-Ittihad Hospital in the West Bank city of Nablus said the boy was hit in the head with a rubber bullet. They said he was in moderate condition.

The most violent confrontation was reported in the Gaza Strip town of Rafah, where 10 Palestinians were reported shot and wounded. They included a 12-year-old boy and a 14-year-old girl, both shot in the chest.

A 20-year-old man shot in the chest in the Jabaliya refugee camp was reported in critical condition, hospital officials said.

The army confirmed two wounded.

The army said a 17-year-old Palestinian was killed Thursday night when he was hit by plastic bullets during a clash with troops in the Gaza Strip.

His death raised to at least 440 the number of Palestinians killed in the 16-month uprising against Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Eighteen Israelis have died.

Soldiers and police manned checkpoints on main roads leading into Jerusalem from Ramallah, Bethlehem and Jericho, blocking hundreds of Arabs from entering the city for weekly Moslem prayers.

Some elderly Palestinians were allowed to proceed, Arab witnesses said.

Police checked identity cards at entrances leading to the main mosques in Jerusalem's Old City, and dozens of residents of the occupied territories were turned away.

Security has been tightened around the main mosque compound - known to Arabs as Haram Al Sharif, or "Noble Enclosure" - since a rock-throwing protest broke out there after Moslem prayers April 7 and spilled over to the adjacent Western Wall.

The Western Wall, or Wailing Wall, is Judiasm's holiest site.

No disturbances were reported Friday, and Jerusalem Police Commissioner Yosef Yehudai attributed this to increased police security and an effort by Moslem elders to control the crowd.