Five Geneva Steel employees - exposed to a carbon dioxide gas leak at the plant's power house Tuesday - were glad to be home after their unexpected trip to the hospital.

Ron Hoffman, a senior shift supervisor, was flown by helicopter to LDS Hospital following the accident, which occurred at about 1:45 p.m., said Jack Bollow, Geneva spokesman.Hoffman was unconscious and in serious condition after the incident but was sent home from the hospital Tuesday night.

Steve Judd, shift supervisor, and Linda McGuire, boiler operator, were taken to Orem Community Hospital and admitted in satisfactory condition. Both were released Wednesday morning.

David DeMumbrum and John Wilden were treated and released from the Orem hospital.

According to the Utah County sheriff's report, McGuire was bringing the boiler back on line when Judd went to turn the valve. He apparently turned the wrong valve and down-filled the area with gas from the blast furnace, which contains carbon dioxide.

The employees were poisoned as a result and were immediately transported to the hospital, Sgt. Alex Hunt said.

Bollow said the source of the gas leak is still under investigation by the State Industrial Commission and Geneva.

"As long as I have been associated with Geneva (since 1975) we have never had an incident like this," he said.

Geneva's power house, where the leak occurred, generates power to various areas of the plant.