Need more time to finish your state income tax return? The Utah State Tax Commission now recognizes the filing extensions granted by the federal government.

There is a catch, however. This is an extension for filing taxes, not paying them. That means that taxpayers must make a prepayment of 80 percent of the amount they think they'll end up owing.Taxpayers who have obtained an automatic four-month extension from the Internal Revenue Service do not need to apply for a state extension, although prepayment is still due by April 17.

And taxpayers who get an additional two-month extension from the IRS will get the same from the state. A separate application to the state is not necessary.

Copies of all federal extension forms must be attached to state returns. Taxpayers with any questions about their taxes can call 1-800-662-4335, or, in Salt Lake County, 530-4848.