Firefighters closed 35th South to through traffic at about 22nd West for 10 minutes Friday morning after a severed gas meter was discovered at a restaurant near the intersection.

West Valley City Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Scharman said a northerly breeze carried heavy concentrations of the natural gas vapors across 35th South, forcing the temporary closure.Scharman said fire crews used a hose to make a temporary connection at the Cafe Silvestre, 3524 S. 22nd West. The gas meter on the south side of the cafe was apparently struck by a vehicle sometime during the night, severing the connection.

The gas leak was discovered shortly after 9 a.m. when an employee arrived at work.