Dr. Maurice J. Taylor, Salt Lake cardiac surgeon, internist and former executive vice chairman of the Oratorio Society of Utah, died March 13, 1995, of natural causes in his Salt Lake home. He was 87.

A fellow in the American College of Physicians and board certified three times, Dr. Taylor held a current medical license and, until he became ill a few months ago, was still caring for patients.He graduated from the University of Utah in 1929 and received his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. He and another surgeon, the late Dr. William Ray Rumel, in 1942 performed the first heart operation in the West on one of Dr. Taylor's young patients.

Affectionately known as "Maury" to patients and others, Dr. Taylor had an office for 57 years in the Boston Building. He was a physician to many LDS Church general authorities and their families, made house calls and had served on the staffs of the old Salt Lake County General and LDS hospitals.

He was a member of the American Medical Association, the Salt Lake County Medical Society and established the American Red Cross' school nurse program. In 1991 he was honored by President George Bush for 60 years of service as a practicing physician and in May 1993 was presented a Merit of Honor award from the University of Utah School of Medicine. He had been recognized by the American College of Physicians and served in the Army Medical Corps. Dr. Taylor devised a method of reducing paralysis in polio patients.

Comment on this story

In musical circles, Dr. Taylor negotiated the first overseas broadcast of "The Messiah" by the Utah Oratorio Society in 1980 and a year later became chairman of the board of a new organization, the Salt Lake Oratorio Society.

He was a stake high councilor for 23 years and was later president of Temple View Stake. He was a patriarch in the Salt Lake Wells Stake.

Funeral will be at noon Friday, March 17, in the Salt Lake Stake Center, 142 W. 200 North. Friends may call from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday at Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple, and from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday at the church. Burial will be in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.