A blaze that apparently originated from a battery charger destroyed a garage, motor home and a 22-foot boat Monday night.

Salt Lake County Fire Capt. Jack Cowdell estimated damage at between $35,000 and $40,000, but said no one was injured in the fire at 6356 S. Ben-Air Drive (1820 West). "Everything was just about consumed," he said. "It was pretty much contained to the back yard here."Deputy sheriffs evacuated five houses surrounding the fire. Firefighters were especially concerned because of propane and acetylene tanks that exploded and quickly fueled the fire.

"After we had the explosions, we were able to come in and take care of it," Cowdell said. Flames from the 8:34 p.m. fire shot as high as 20 feet and could be seen from several blocks away. Winds were blowing in the right direction, however, and helped firefighters keep the blaze from nearby houses.

Cowdell said the owner of the house was charging batteries in a fiberglass boat kept in the garage. "He went into the house and saw the lights flicker. He then saw a glow in the garage and saw flames where the charger was," the captain said.

Fifteen firefighters and two engines controlled the blaze within about four minutes, he said.