A fire started by transients early Tuesday morning in the Smith Apartments, recently closed by Salt Lake City building inspectors, caused minimal damage and no injuries, fire officials said.

Crews responded to a blaze at the downtown apartment complex, 230 S. Third East, at 6:57 a.m. The fire appears to have been started by a warming fire set by transients on the building's second floor, Battalion Chief LaMont Epperson said."In fact, we escorted one (transient) out during the fire," he said, noting that damage was restricted to a single apartment unit and amounted to less than $1,000.

The Smith Apartments were closed Feb. 13 by the city's Building and Housing Division because the owners failed to repair a broken boiler that provided heat to the complex. Several tenants were relocated by the city.