As Ed McMahon says, you may have already won. In your basement or your closet, or your sister-in-law's living room, may be sitting a prize-winner.
Let's say, for example, that you once bought a lamp at a garage sale. And then, taking an honest look at it, you realized that it might be the ugliest lighting fixture in Utah, so you stuffed it into the back of your closet.Or maybe you bought some Earth Shoes once, and later you stuffed those back there, too.
Well, we think it's time to bring ugly out of the closet and give it the recognition it deserves. Frankly, it's pretty tiresome the way people are always praising beauty all the time.
Of course, you might say, ugly is in the eye of the beholder, so how can it be judged fairly? Well, we'll take that risk. Send us a picture of your ugliest stuff in the categories listed below, and we'll be the judge. If we like your item the best, you'll win $25.
The categories are:
We picked these categories because they seem to lend themselves to ugliness. We don't know exactly why that is - maybe it's one of the mysterious laws of the universe.
1. The ugly item may belong to you or to someone else. The Deseret News cannot be held responsible if the someone else never speaks to you again.
2. You may enter as many categories as you want.
3. Please don't enter your spouse. Or any person, actually.
4. Send a snapshot - either in color or black and white - of your ugly item to Ugly Contest, Deseret News, P.O. Box 1257, Salt Lake City, UT 84110.
5. On the back of the photo write your name, address and phone number, and the name of the owner of the ugly item.
6. Photos must be received by April 1, 1989.
7. Snapshots become the property of the Deseret News and will not be returned. (Staffers may pass them around and laugh at them, however.)
8. However subjective, decision of the judges will be final.