Salt Lake officers Saturday were trying to determine what led two teenage boys to the rooftop of an east-side duplex in an incident that left a California man injured.

A 14-year-old runaway from a Provo foster home was being held at the Decker Lake juvenile detention center in connection with the incident that began Friday night in Memory Grove.Robert Toolson, 48, Pacific Palisades, Calif., had been visiting his mother at her Avenues apartment. It is not clear, however, exactly how he met up with the 18-year-old and 14-year-old boys.

Toolson told officers he left the residence about 9:30 p.m. Friday and was going around a curve in the road through Memory Grove when two teenagers on bicycles pounded on the door of his rented four-wheel-drive vehicle.

The Californian said he stopped the car and the 14-year-old boy opened the passenger door, according to a police report. The older teen said his companion was having an asthma attack and would die if he did not get home.

But the teens told officers they requested a ride from the man after they had been drinking, the report said. And they contend a struggle ensued after Toolson assaulted the 14-year-old, who was sitting in the front seat.

The man told police that when he got to South Temple and E Street, he asked the boys to get out of the car. Toolson said he felt threatened by the teenagers, especially the older one who said he had a gun, the report said.

The ride ended at Eight East and Second South, where Toolson was hit in the head with a block of wood, according to the report. The two teens ran away.

Officers were called to the intersection by a neighbor who reported the incident as an assault, the report said. An officer spotted two teenagers and chased them to a duplex at 208 S. Eight East, said Sgt. Art Healey.

The two teens on the roof threw bricks at officers and said they had a gun. The department's special weapons team was called.

After three hours with a trained negotiator, a 14-year-old boy, clad in sweat pants and sneakers, climbed down with his 18-year-old companion.

No weapons were found except for "a bunch of bricks," said Lt. Bill Gray, Special Emergency Response Team commander, who oversees the eight-member weapons team.