Honduran officials and rebels fighting the Nicaraguan government will meet in Washington this week to discuss a peace plan that includes disarming the rebels, a Honduran official said Saturday.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Eugenio Castro said in a telephone interview the meeting will be held Monday and Tuesday. He refused to give further details.Officials in Washington could not be reached immediately for comment.

In February, the presidents of Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Costa Rica agreed to the peace proposal, which includes freeing hundreds of former Nicaraguan national guardsmen and free and open elections in that country.

As part of the agreement, the leaders said they would draft a plan by May 15 to disband the 11,000-member rebel force fighting Nicaragua's leftist Sandinista government.

Most of the rebels, known as Contras, fled to border bases in Honduras after U.S. military assistance ended last year.

The Sandinistas and the Contras signed a provisional truce in March 1988.

Castro said two senior diplomats and two army colonels will represent the Honduran government at the Washington talks. He said Contra leaders Adolfo Calero, Aristides Sanchez, Roberto Ferrey and Enrique Bermudez will represent the rebels.

Honduras has reluctantly tolerated Contras in its territory since 1981, when the rebels - with U.S. assistance - started battling the Sandinistas.

The presence of rebel supply and training bases along the border with Nicaragua has soured relations between the two countries, and there have been frequent clashes between soldiers from the two sides.

On Saturday, the Nicaraguan Defense Ministry accused Honduran troops of attacking the Nicaraguan border post of Murupuchi, 110 miles north of Managua, the Nicaraguan capital. It said the post was attacked 13 times in February and this was the sixth in March.