Fire officials say a Sunday morning fire that killed a Midvale woman and her 3-year-old son originated from a couch in the living room and was probably caused by a cigarette.

Midvale Fire Chief Merrill Ross said officials are waiting for lab reports to be completed before any conclusions are made but said it is believed that a smoldering cigarette on the couch caused the blaze that killed Brandie L. Melvin, 20, and her son, Anthony Melvin.The fire at a four-unit townhouse complex at 147 Tiffany Town Drive caused between $30,000 and $35,000 in damages, he said.