Firefighters believe flammable cleaning solvents may have started a fire in a vacant rental house, at 211 W. Paxton Ave. (1160 South), that erupted late Tuesday evening.

Salt Lake fire Capt. Ren Egbert said the owner and his wife had been cleaning the house and left to buy more cleaning supplies when a neighbor noticed smoke and called the fire department about 11:15 p.m.The fire was under control within 15 minutes. "The fire damage was all contained to the kitchen area. Smoke damage went throughout the house," he said. Damage was estimated at $5,000.