A Bennion man who was stabbed and shot to death Sunday and his wife, who was seriously injured, brought to six the number of weekend stabbing victims in Salt Lake County.

The spree of violence had law enforcement officials scurrying for answers and suspects Monday morning.Luwana Beals, 51, went to a neighbor's house and called the sheriff's department after being stabbed in her home at 6287 S. Redwood Road Sunday about 7:30 p.m. Sheriff's deputies booked her 32-year-old son, Gary Don Beals, into the Salt Lake County Jail after an apparent family fight that left the jailed man's father, Arthur Don Beals, 55, dead and his mother critically injured.

Mrs. Beals was taken to Cottonwood Hospital, where she underwent surgery Sunday evening and was reported in serious condition Monday morning, said sheriff's Lt. Bernard Hahn.

Arthur Beals was not only stabbed but had been shot twice with a .357 magnum handgun, Hahn said. The son was also injured, apparently having been hit on the head with a baseball bat.

In an unrelated incident in Salt Lake City, police are investigating a stabbing that left a transient man critically injured shortly before midnight Saturday.

Authorities were called to 689 S. State after a fight apparently occurred in or outside the Annex Bar. "We've got no information (and) no witnesses" in the knifing, said Lt. Joel Campbell.

Henry K. Howell, 20, was hospitalized with two stab wounds. He was reported in serious condition Monday morning at LDS Hospital.

Campbell and officers at the scene were unsure the fight began in the tavern and traveled outside or happened on the street. Blood was found on the sidewalk just outside the bar, and Howell was located across the street on a bus bench.

It also was unclear whether a man who suffered minor head injuries at the scene was involved in the incident. He was treated for his wounds and then questioned by police.

In another Saturday incident at about 6:10 p.m., three men were stabbed in a fight that began at Pioneer Park.

One man, Juan Mireles, was moved out of the critical care unit over the weekend but remained in critical condition Monday at LDS Hospital with stab wounds to the chest. A second man, Louis Martinez Villalda, 22, also believed to be a transient, also suffered stab wounds and was reported in serious condition Monday.

A third man, Alfredo Martin, 28, was upgraded from critical to satisfactory condition at University Hospital.

Lt. Tom Brown said the fight started in a hangout frequented by transients and continued under the viaduct on Fourth South at Third West where Mireles and Martinez were stabbed. Martin was found just east of the park on Fourth South with knife wounds.

A 49-year-old transient, whose name was not released, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail in connection with the triple stabbing. His companion was questioned and released, Brown said.