The government-run telephone company Telmex will undergo a $15 billion restructuring in the next five years because of public complaints about poor service, according to news reports.

A major overhaul of the company will be the focus of upcoming talks with telephone employees, said Andres Caso Lombardo, secretary of communications and transportation.He told the government news service Notimex on Thursday that he would not rule out handing over control of Telefonos de Mexico -known as Telmex - to the private sector to help promote a "radical change" in the service.

Previously, government officials have denied plans to sell the company, of which they acquired majority control in 1972.

Several private companies, including the U.S.-based International Telephone and Telegraph Corp., have expressed interest in investing in the Mexican company in the past, the news service said.