Firefighters evacuated the Canyon Racquet Club, 7350 S. Wasatch Blvd., for about an hour Wednesday after a large amount of natural gas leaked into the building.

"It could have been real serious," said Salt Lake County Fire Lt. Vernon Jensen. Gas had been leaking into the club for about 30 minutes before the leak was eventually stopped at about 5:30 p.m. "You could smell a lot of gas in the exercise area," he said.Jensen said the leak was caused when a large icicle fell and broke a main pipe on the gas meter. "I'll bet that icicle was six inches in diameter and three feet long," he said.