A chemical spill caused evacuation of a section of the downtown area of Provo Wednesday afternoon.

Approximately 70 people were evacuated from businesses located between First and Third West and Center Street and First South around 4:25 p.m., after five gallons of anhydrous ammonia spilled from a refrigeration unit at the Utah Valley Meat Packing Company, 44 S. Second West.The chemical entered a sewer line and leaked fumes into the surrounding street area. Provo police closed off the downtown section for 21/2 hours while crews cleaned the spill.

No one was injured in the incident.

Anhydrous ammonia, when inhaled, can cause severe lung damage.