Elder Clinton L. Cutler, a member of the LDS Church's Second Quorum of the Seventy, died of cancer early Saturday at his home. He was 64.

The general authority, who had been a mission president, regional representative, stake president and bishop, was sustained a member of the Seventy on March 31, 1990, during general conference. He was sustained for a five-year term.During his full-time service with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he served as second counselor in the Sunday School general presidency from October 1991 to August 1992 and first counselor since August 1992. He was also an assistant executive director of the Family History Department.

Before his call, he was president of the Washington Seattle Mission. He also had been a regional representative.

Elder Cutler was sustained as president of the Littleton Colorado Stake when it was created in 1973 and later was president of the Boise Idaho West Stake. He also had been a counselor in stake presidencies twice and in the late 1960s was bishop of the Riverdale 2nd Ward near Ogden.

Elder Cutler also had been an area athletic director, Young Men superintendent, an Aaronic Priesthood adviser and a counselor in an elders quorum.

Before his call, Elder Cutler worked for more than 32 years for US WEST Communications, retiring in August 1986 as an assistant vice president. He was district plant manager for Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph Co. in Salt Lake City and was division manager of operator services for Mountain Bell in Colorado. He also was the state plant manager for Mountain Bell in Utah.

He was born Clinton Louis Cutler on Dec. 27, 1929, in Salt Lake City, the eldest of 10 children of Benjamin Lewis and Nellie Helena Sharp Cutler. He graduated from Jordan High School, where he was an all-state basketball player and student body president.

"Dad taught me to work hard, to be honest and to have integrity," Elder Cutler said in a Church News interview after he was called to the Seventy. "He just couldn't tolerate anyone who wasn't honest."

He met his wife-to-be, Carma Nielsen of Riverton, in an English class at Jordan High. The couple dated through their junior and senior years of high school. During their senior year they worked together as student body officers, she as vice president. When he accepted a basketball scholarship to Utah State University, she also decided to attend the school. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple June 22, 1949. She survives him, as do three daughters, three sons and 28 grandchildren.

After attending USU one year, Elder Cutler transferred to the University of Utah, where he graduated with honors and received a bachelor's degree in physical education. At the time he graduated, he had already been working at Mountain Bell.

Funeral will be Tuesday, April 12, at 11 a.m. at the South Jordan River Stake Center, 1570 W. 11400 South.