Two men were hospitalized Monday following an automobile fire that started from a portable stove, police said.

Thomas Scanlon, 44, Salt Lake City, was in good condition and John Hutchins, 32, Price, was fair Tuesday at University Hospital, a nursing supervisor said. Hutchins suffered mostly second-degree burns over 5 percent of his body while Scanlon suffered first-degree burns."They were apparently involved in an altercation inside the van where they were living," said Salt Lake Police Lt. Tom Brown. "Suddenly there's a fire emanating from the Coleman stove and they both got burned."

The fire occurred at about 7:50 p.m. Monday in a vehicle that was parked at approximately 175 E. Eighth South.