Three armed robberies occurred Thursday night in Salt Lake City and County. Add to that a stabbing.

A man who believed he was getting a drunken driver off the road ended up in an altercation that resulted in another man being stabbed, sheriff's officials said.Lt. Glen Bailess said a 29-year-old Salt Lake man was driving on I-215 eastbound and was following someone who was driving erratically and reportedly ran other cars off the freeway.

The 29-year-old man took the 20th East exit and pulled into a bank parking lot about 68th South, the lieutenant said.

As he was getting out of his car, an individual pulled up behind him and began hitting him, Bailess said. The 29-year-old Salt Lake man told police he pulled a knife in self defense and stabbed the other man.

A 35-year-old man continued to fight, even after he'd been stabbed, police said.

"The individual who did the stabbing . . . was not charged," Bailess said. "We're still looking at this and the county attorney will look at it, but it appears to be a case of self-defense."

In an unrelated incident, Sheriff's detectives were investigating Friday the armed robbery of a clothing store in which a bandit with a knife held up the store and left with $300.

No one was injured in the 6:53 p.m. robbery of Mad Man Magee's, 761 E. 33rd South, Bailess said.

Two hours later, Bailess said, an armed robbery occurred at Eat A Burger, 7065 S. Ninth East. A 6-foot male wearing jogging pants held up the clerk with a small revolver and fled with an undetermined amount of cash.

Meanwhile, back in the city, a man who matched the description in a stolen car case held up a Sugarhouse shoe store at 9 p.m., police said.

Employees of Payless Shoesource, 812 E. 21st South, were not injured in the incident, said Lt. Tom Brown.

"He walked in and demanded the cashier leave the register area" and then cleared the till of an undetermined amount of cash, Brown said.

The man was described as 6-feet tall, wearing dirty denims and a black ski cap.