People interested in rendering volunteer service in Utah County need look no further than the Association for Retarded Citizens.

Association worker David Stewart said more than 100 volunteers are needed as "human rights advocates" and "citizen advocates." Volunteers provide friendship and one-on-one help to the mentally handicapped.Human rights advocates are responsible for getting to know clients and act as their advocates on a human rights committee, which discusses civil and legal rights and the use of medications and behavior-management programs.

Many handicapped "clients" live in group homes or intermediate care centers that have committees organized to protect their rights.

Citizen advocates help clients realize their full potential by helping them learn basic skills such as shopping, riding the bus or writing a letter.

Volunteers must donate about three hours a month after completing training sessions. Volunteers, who are asked to make a one-year commitment to the program, must be at least 18 years old. No previous experience working with the mentally handicapped is required.

For further information, call the United Way Volunteer Center at 374-8108.