A attic fire in a southeast Provo home caused $25,000 damage early Sunday morning, sending a family member to the hospital for smoke inhalation, a fire official said.

Thelma Anderson was treated at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and released. The woman and her husband, Lindsay, 1146 E. 3rd South, were asleep when the fire broke out at about 2:20 a.m.Capt. Phil Harris, Provo Fire Department, said the fire started when a hearing coil in the rain gutter broke or shorted and ignited the shingles on the roof.

Two fire engines responded to the call. Harris said the deep snow made it difficult to fight the fire, and a release crew of firefighters had to be called in to battle the blaze.