A Taylor man was in critical but stable condition in the Intermountain Burn Center after being burned in a fire that gutted a 100-year-old farmhouse.

A hospital spokesman said Parley Timothy, 65, suffered second-degree burns over 6 percent of his body. No other serious injuries were reported, Weber Fire Chief Jay Goodell said Thursday.The fire apparently began about 4 p.m. Wednesday in the roof of the house, Goodell said.

Firefighters took nearly seven hours to control the blaze, Goodell said. Crews had just left the scene about 10:30 p.m. when they were called back to control renewed sparks.

He said flames shot from the wreckage one more time about 3 a.m., but were controlled. Fire crews kept close watch on the still-steaming ashes Thursday.

Goodell said the incident is being investigated, but he believes the fire may have begun while Timothy was trying to thaw some frozen water pipes in the home's upper story.

He said damage to the home and its contents would exceed $40,000.

Timothy's wife, Afton, said she and her family have lived in the house for 20 years.