An 82-year-old man was in critical but stable condition Monday with burns suffered in a house fire.

Henry Dumas suffered second- and third-degree burns over 20 percent of his body and was in the Intermountain Burn Unit, a University Hospital nursing supervisor said.The Wednesday fire that was believed started by a smoldering cigarette on a couch caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the house, at 1143 W. Pacific Ave. (440 South), said Gordon Nicholl, Salt Lake Fire Department battalion chief.