Vickie Singer prayed that if God did not want the Kamas LDS Stake Center to be blown up, he would prevent the dynamite from going off, according to a prayer card read into evidence in the Singer-Swapp trial Thursday.

The card, discovered in her bedroom, was read to the jury by U.S. Attorney Brent D. Ward. Ward left "blanks" for the names of other defendants named in Singer's prayer card and diary, because this information can be used only against her in court."Giving into Thy hands the explosives that (blank) got yesterday, that they not be used except it be Thy will; that you will stop up anything from happening or transpiring that is not in Thy will," one of the cards said.

Another card called for God's blessings upon the explosives, "that they will not malfunction, but will perform exactly to Thy will."

Reading a diary entry from Jan. 15, the night the explosives were placed in the stake center, Ward said Singer wrote, "Things are serious now. It's the appointed time."

She wrote that she prayed over whether her 15-year-old son, Benjamin, could go along "to help carry thing, etc."

Singer added, "The answer was that I should let him go, not to worry."

She described the 9-foot blood-red pole that was left at the stake center. John Singer's initials and the date of his death were on the pole.

Apparently quoting a message on the pole, Singer then wrote, "Church, state and nation will now be destroyed."

She wrote early about spending $230 on food and necessities. Early on Jan. 16, she recorded watching the explosion blow through the stake center's roof, and added, "The battle has begun."

She also wrote that the family kept careful watch of news reports and knew there were warrants out for some.

On Wednesday, Addam Swapp told his brother-in-law, Roger Bates, that he used 87 sticks of dynamite to blow up the Kamas LDS Stake Center on Jan. 28, Bates testified Wednesday.

Earlier, Bates refused to answer questions during the Singer-Swapp trial, citing the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Bates had trouble remembering the exact wording of some statements. But he remembered some crucial facts.

On Jan. 17 he went onto the family's compound in Marion, Summit County, with the permission of officers who thought he could serve as an intermediary during the siege there.

Bates said he wanted to know what he should tell officers who would ask whether Addam Swapp was responsible for blowing up the church. "I asked Addam, `They are going to ask me, as soon as I go back, "Did you do it?" ' " His brother-in-law said, "Go ahead and tell them I did it," Bates testified. "He told me he had used 87 sticks of dynamite, I believe."

Addam Swapp said another 50 pounds of material, apparently an explosive, were used, too.

Also Wednesday, gunsmiths testified that Bates picked up a .30-caliber carbine from their gun shop for John Timothy Singer on Jan. 13. That was less than three days before the blast destroyed the stake center.

The day of the explosion, members of the Singer-Swapp family were besieged by officers.

Testimony about the carbine came from David Nell and his son, David Ryan Nell, father and son, both of whom work at Golden Spike Firearms, 3594 S. Redwood Road.

Timothy Singer, who prosecutors say is believed to have fired the shot that killed state Corrections Lt. Fred House, traded a .22 Winchester rifle for an old .30 caliber carbine at the gun shop, they said. David Ryan Nell said Singer was accompanied by Jonathan Swapp during his visits to the shop, looking "mostly at semiautomatic rifles."

But after Singer made the exchange, he found that it wasn't working properly. It would fire, but the spent shell wouldn't eject.

"He knew exactly what was wrong with the weapon," David Ryan Nell said. The extractor and ejector were modified, ground down, and Singer knew that by comparing this carbine with another .30 caliber carbine he owned.

Both carbines were seized from Singer's bedroom on the day of the shootout. The one traded by Golden Spike was used to kill House, prosecutors contend.

"I put a brand new extractor and ejector in it," David Ryan Nell said. Singer visited the shop every day, then telephoned, to see if it was fixed.

"He really wanted the gun fixed in a hurry."

Asked by defense lawyer G. Fred Metos whether Singer tried to hide his identity, he replied, "Oh no, he never did. He always stated who he was whenever he came in."

The elder Nell said he traded the weapon to Timothy Singer along with 100 rounds of military ammunition with "full metal jacket."