A new government form can help workers find out how much social security they will receive at retirement, H&R Block says.

David Peterson, head of the tax consulting firm's Salt Lake office, said an Earnings and Benefit Estimator Statement, form SSA-7004, can be obtained at the local Social Security office.He encourages taxpayers to personally fill out their statements every two or three years to catch any possible errors because the Social Security Administration typically doesn't correct errors that are more than three years old.

"Learning how much has been credited to your Social Security account may influence how much you want to save, contribute to a retirement program or invest during the next 12 months" he said. "Since these options can impact your tax situation, tax time is a good time to review them."