A teacher who reportedly threw a junior high school boy to the floor and used the boy as a "mop" to wipe up a puddle of urine was to meet Tuesday afternoon with district authorities to tell his side of the story.

If the incident occurred as reported by the student's parents, the teacher, a substitute, will not be allowed to continue teaching in the district, said Superintendent Raymond D. Whittenburg. The parents have threatened legal action.The teacher already has been banned from further teaching in Union Middle School school, said Liane Smith, principal.

Smith said the youth, a 15-year-old student, did not ask permission to leave a woodshop class to use the restroom.

The class was held shortly after lunch, and the substitute teacher reportedly had a reputation for not allowing students to leave class, according to the boy's father. The student, apparently unable to wait until class ended, urinated in a back room.

According to the parents, when the teacher discovered the puddle of urine, he forced the boy to put on his coat, then "mopped" the floor with him. The teacher then reportedly pulled the boy by his hair to the principal's office.

After a brief interview with the principal, the student went home.

Smith said there "may have been previous trouble" between the particular student and the teacher. The boy had had minor behavior problems previously but was not a serious problem, she said.

She said she had counseled the teacher after incidents with other students.

The teacher was substituting for a regular shop teacher who suffered a heart attack, she said. Finding substitutes for specialized classes is difficult, she added.

The district had no negative reports about the teacher in his file, Whittenburg said.

The student's parents were appalled by the incident and said they did not intend to drop it without a full investigation. A physician examined the youth after the incident and found he had suffered only minor injuries, including a bump on his head and a minor scratch on his neck.

Smith said she had received numerous telephone calls from unhappy parents. She defended the school, however, as an institution with "outstanding teachers" and said the incident was "clearly an unusual case."