A smoke detector probably saved the lives of Layton family members whose house was heavily damaged in an early morning fire Monday, a firefighter said.

Roylene Murphy, 49, woke up about 3:30 a.m. when she heard the buzzing sound of a smoke detector in her home at 930 E. 20th North in Layton, said Layton Fire Capt. Lonnie Adams."She did wake up and was able to get the four kids safely out of the house," he said. Murphy and her 15-year-old daughter Marla were treated for smoke inhalation at Humana Hospital Davis North and released, a nursing supervisor said.

Adams estimated damage to the house at $100,000. Heavy flames gutted the kitchen and dining room area, he said. "The upper floor had heavy smoke and fire damage."

Investigators said the fire originated from insulation against a stove pipe in the attic.