Neighbors of a 64-year-old man responded to his wife's calls for help early Tuesday morning, but not before the man was fatally burned by a fire in his bed.

County fire investigators believe the man may have used a cigarette lighter to start the fire.Firefighters were called to the house at 7292 S. 2825 East at 3:34 a.m. The wife, awakened by smoke and fire coming from another bedroom, rushed to a neighbor's house to call for help, said Salt Lake County Fire Battalion Chief Elston Snow.

Neighbors had extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived, Snow said, but were unable to save the man, whose name has not yet been released.

The fire caused about $1,000 damage to the house and furnishings. Salt Lake County fire investigator Gary Murdock said the investigation was completed later Tuesday morning, and the fire is being treated as a suicide.