The Salt Lake County sheriff's office is investigating two small fires Wednesday that forced the evacuation of Bingham Middle School.

Principal N.J. Tullos said a fire set in the garbage can of a boy's restroom was immediately extinguished, causing no damage. A fire in the school's health clinic caused $300 damage.Head Custodian Scott Bateman discovered and reported the clinic fire.

The fires occurred about 9:10 a.m., he said. Students were evacuated for about 40 minutes as a precautionary measure.

The building suffered more from smoke damage than from the actual flames, Tullos said.