An Orem woman critically burned in a New Year's Day apartment fire had improved to serious condition Thursday in the University of Utah Burn Center.

Wanda Gledhill, 46, suffered third-degree burns over 47 percent of her body in a fire in her duplex apartment. Gasoline being used to help start a fire in a wood stove flashed, catching Gledhill's daughter, Cheryl, 22, on fire.Gledhill assisted her daughter and was removing a milk container full of gasoline from the room when the container exploded. The daughter and a son, Steve, 25, suffered minor injuries.