The wife of a man who could be in prison for life for engaging in a sexual activity with a 13-year-old girl gasped and burst into tears when the Utah Board of Pardons denied him a parole date.

The board said it would not consider setting a parole date again until December 1991 for Greg G. Green, 40, of Liberty, Weber County, who is serving a sentence of 5 years to life on a charge of child sexual abuse.Kathy Green, 31, fell forward in her chair as the board announced its decision and shook with tears as she was led from the room by friends and family of the couple. She had fought back tears during much of the hearing.

She had received probation last year for her role in the June 1987 incident, which occurred during a bow-hunt when she had the girl perform a sexual act on her husband, according to board member Gary Webster.

Webster said that was one of only a number of incidents involving the couple and girls ranging from as young as 11 to the late teens. He asked Green why he first denied, then admitted the incident for which he was convicted.

"I wanted to stop victimizing children. I wanted to stop hurting people. I'm tired of running all my life. I'm tired of being afraid all my life," Green answered. "I'm tired of hurting children like I felt I was hurt all my life."

He said that his involvement with underage girls had begun "not long after my mother's suicide. It's been about eight years." He said that an incestuous relationship with his mother began when he was 4 years old "and lasted a long time."

Asked by board chairman Victoria Palacios if he had sexually abused a son by his first wife, Green said that he had. That son, Palacios noted, is currently in prison.

That answer led Webster to ask why he had not mentioned that abuse earlier when asked about other child sex abuse victims. "I have nothing more to hide," Green responded.

He told the board repeatedly that he was "committed to change." Questioned about the state of his mental health, however, Green said that he was confused but that he understood himself better than he ever had before.

"I still have a long ways to go," he said.

Webster told Green that the board does not normally grant a parole date to a sex offender the first time he or she appears before them. After closed-door deliberations, the board said they would re-hear his case in December 1991.